A FREE early literacy program
for all 4-year-olds in Jacksonville!
The JaxKids Book Club is a free early literacy summer reading program managed by the Jacksonville Children’s Commission and privately funded by local, civic-minded corporations and organizations who value the importance of early literacy and education for our children.
Goals of the JaxKids Book Club include:
- Introducing high-quality books into the homes of children preparing to enter kindergarten
- Encouraging learning over summer break to help prevent summer learning loss
- Providing parents with practical tools to instill literacy as a core value
- Increasing family awareness of the importance of reading with children every day
- Providing family engagement events that include interactive and fun ways for parents and children to learn and bond together
Since its inception in 2004, the JaxKids Book Club has provided 1,093,596 free books to more than 95,000 4–year-olds throughout the city. As a national model, 19 states and 40 municipalities have consulted with Jacksonville officials to create similar programs that promote early literacy.